- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Limp A Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Blackstrap molasses||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Tablespoon (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Rye flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Skim milk powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Non Instant)|
|Orange rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Butter/Sunflower margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon (Additional, For Topping)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 460 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.8%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g22.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.2 mg
Sodium 289.4 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.6%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.2%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 17 g34.4%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 36.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Use a measuring cup to sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water.
2) Let stand in a warm place about 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) Stir in molasses and honey.
4) In your food processor, use the METAL BLADE setting.
5) In the work bowl, add wheat and rye flours, milk powder, salt and orange rind. Pulse on/off to mix.
6) Add butter, pulse on/off to cut in.
7) Pour in yeast mixture through feed tube while the machine is running. Pulse on/off to mix.
8) Pour in remaining water in a steady stream, while machine is running.
9) Process the dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
10) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
11) Add caraway and anise seeds, while the machine is running. Process to mix.
12) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
13) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
14) Cover with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
15) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the dough.
16) Prepare a ball and allow resting by covering for 5 minutes.
17) Use a well-greased cookie sheet, to place the loaf, which measures about 5-6 inches across.
18) Cover and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, about 45 minutes.
19) Preheat oven to 350Â°.
20) Brush with egg glaze, sprinkle on caraway seeds.
21) Place inside oven on middle rack to bake for 40-45 minutes or until bottom crust of loaf has a hard hollow sound when tapped.
22) Immediately transfer on metal rack to cool.
23) Slice the bread and serve with your choice of dip or spread.