- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentils with Tomatoes and Bacon Recipe
|Lentils||3⁄4 Pound (Green Or Red, 1 1/2 Cups)|
|Smoked slab bacon||1⁄2 Pound, unsliced|
|Dried sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry white vermouth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm) (Or 1 Small)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1930 Calories from Fat 498
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.4%
Saturated Fat 25.9 g129.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 157.8 mg
Sodium 1695.5 mg70.6%
Total Carbohydrates 239 g79.6%
Dietary Fiber 114.8 g459%
Sugars 23.1 g
Protein 119 g237.1%
Vitamin A 209.2% Vitamin C 287.3%
Calcium 44.5% Iron 184.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Slice bacon into 1/2-inch cubes measuring about 1 1/4 cups.
2) Chop onions measuring to 1/3 cup.
3) Wash tomatoes and pat dry. Peel, halve, seed, and chop tomatoes, keep aside.
4) Wash parsley and pat dry with paper towels. Chop parsley to measure 2 tablespoons.
5) In a large sieve, take lentils and rinse under cold running water.
6) In a medium-size heavy-gauge saucepan transfer the lentils, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and cover with water. Boil over high heat and skim froth from surface.
7) Cover and boil lentils for 1 minute and remove from heat.
8) In medium-size heavy-gauge skillet, fry bacon cubes over medium heat until crisp for 5 minutes.
9) Stir in onion and fry for 3 minutes till onion changes color.
10) Gently pour bacon fat from skillet.
11) Mix in tomatoes, sage, rosemary, and vermouth, and cook in simmering heat for about 15 minutes till liquid dries off. Keep aside.
12) Drain lentils through a sieve and rinse under cold running water.
13) In a saucepan add lentils and cover with fresh water by 1 inch. Boil lentils in high heat.
14) Cover and cook lentils in low heat till tender, about 10 minutes for green lentils or 4 minutes for red lentils.
15) Sieve and drain thoroughly. Transfer to a heatproof serving bowl.
16) Mix bacon-tomato mixture, butter, and chopped parsley, and toss to combine.
17) Keep warm in 200-degree oven.
18) Serve hot.