- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentil Soup With Root Vegetables Recipe
|Brown lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Stalks celery||2 , diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Turnip/Parsnip||8 Ounce, diced|
|Carrots||2 Large, diced|
|Beef stock/Vegetable stock||2 Quart|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 338 Calories from Fat 33
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.7%
Saturated Fat 0.61 g3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 727 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g17.9%
Dietary Fiber 22.2 g88.9%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 24 g48.4%
Vitamin A 83% Vitamin C 29.5%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 35.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a sieve and place the lentils.
2. Rinse thoroughly under cold water.
3. Pick over the lentils carefully, discarding any small stones.
2. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
3. Add the onion, celery, and garlic.
4. Saute the vegetables, stirring constantly, for about 6 minutes.
5. Add the turnip and carrots, and about 1/2 cup of the stock.
6. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are slightly soft.
4. Add the lentils, tomato paste, thyme, remaining stock, and bay leaf to the pan.
5. Stir the pan to combine all the ingredients.
6. Bring the soup to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, partially covered.
8.Stir occasionally, for about 50 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are very tender.
9. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
10. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
11. Serve hot with bread.