- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentil Soup Recipe
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for about 1 cup|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced for about 2 teaspoons|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||3 , chopped for about 1 1/4 cups|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped for about 2/3 cup|
|Dried lentils||6 Ounce, picked over and rinsed (1 Cup)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken broth /canned reduced-sodium chicken broth /water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Peeled chopped tomato||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon (Add With The Stock)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Oregano||1 Teaspoon, add with the tomatoes|
|Chopped fresh dill||1 Tablespoon (Add At The End)|
Calories 259 Calories from Fat 42
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.4%
Saturated Fat 0.68 g3.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 722.2 mg30.1%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g13.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.4 g73.7%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 13 g25.9%
Vitamin A 170% Vitamin C 33.1%
Calcium 10.2% Iron 26.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan heat oil and cook onion and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes till softened.
2) Put carrots, celery, lentils, and broth.
3) Boil the soup and simmer for 30 minutes.
4) Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
5) Simmer for 10 minutes till lentils are tender.
6) Serve hot.