- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentil Rice Recipe
|Moong dhal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Yellow)|
|Long grained rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (White Or Brown)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Hot water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Use Same Cup As For Lentils And Rice)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 263 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.6%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 258.4 mg10.8%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.2%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 8 g17%
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 6.6%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium stock pot or saucepan, cover the lentil with double the amount of water and soak for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. If using brown rice, soak the rice with the lentils in the same pot.
3. Just before cooking, drain the water from the lentils and rice using a sieve. Wash the lentils and rice under tap water.
4. In a medium Dutch oven or a stock pot, heat oil on a medium flame.
5. Add sliced onion to the oil and sauté till golden brown.
6. Add the washed and drained lentils and rice to the onion in the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring liquid to a boil.
8. Reduce the flame to low, cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer the rice for 15-20 minutes until the rice and lentils are tender. Check by mashing the lentil between your thumb and forefinger. All the liquid should be absorbed.
9. If there is water, but the rice is cooked, uncover the pot and allow the moisture to evaporate.
10. If the rice and lentil is uncooked, add a little water, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
11. Serve onto a serving dish or individual plates
12. Serve Rice with a curry or stew.