- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentil Chili Recipe
|Olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch chunks|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Carrot||1 Medium, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brown lentils||12 Ounce, rinsed (2 Cup)|
|Green pepper||1 , cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|Sweet red pepper||1 , cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|Canned red kidney beans||19 Ounce, rinsed and drained (1 Can)|
|Cooked garbanzo beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed and drained (Use Canned Or Cooked)|
|Canned tomatoes in puree||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As Whole Pieces)|
|Chili powder||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||4 Teaspoon|
|Dried red pepper flakes||3⁄4 Teaspoon (Or Use More If Desired)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
Calories 768 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.1%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1092.5 mg45.5%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37%
Dietary Fiber 46.6 g186.4%
Sugars 17.1 g
Protein 37 g74.9%
Vitamin A 210.5% Vitamin C 187.7%
Calcium 22.7% Iron 76.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large heavy skillet or stock pot, heat the oil over moderate heat
2. Add and sauté the onion, garlic and carrot just until vegetables are limp.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except for water and sauté lightly just until the flavors are well blended and the spices are aromatic.
4. Add the water and stir well, heating until it comes to a boil.
5. Adjust the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and simmer the lentils for almost 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if required, until they are tender.
6. Season the curry with salt and pepper according to preference.
7. Dish out into a tureen or casserole serving dish.
8. Serve with Indian bread (flat bread) or rice.