- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lentil and Mushroom Veggie Burger Recipe Video
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked|
|Short grain brown rice||8 Tablespoon, uncooked (about 1/2 cup)|
|Millet||8 Tablespoon, uncooked (about 1/2 cup)|
|Potato||1 Large, diced|
|Celery stalk||1 Tablespoon, diced (about 1/3 cup)|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Brown mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Poultry seasoning||2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 551 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.3%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 160.9 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 104 g34.6%
Dietary Fiber 22.6 g90.3%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 22 g43.3%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 30.7%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 37.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cook the lentils in a pot of water. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer until the lentils are soft. (45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain, add salt to taste and set aside.
2. At the same time, in another pot, combine rice and millet with two cups of water, bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer until the water is evaporated and the grains are soft, about 40 minutes
3. Steam the potato until soft,about 15 minutes, add salt and pepper then mash and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms. Season with poultry seasoning. Sauté until the veggies are browned then add the soy sauce and sauté for one more minute.
5. To make the burger mixture, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups of cooked and drained lentils, 1 cup of the cooked rice and millet mixture and 1/2 cup of mashed potato. Add the sauteed mushroom mixture to the bowl and mix well.
6. Use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop up the mixture and hand press into even size patties.
7. Dust the patties with cornmeal on both sides and place on a greased baking tray.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes then flip patties and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
9. You can serve the burgers by themselves along with a salad on the side or serve them on buns, with your favorite condiments and trimmings added.
Make a double batch and freeze the extra patties for another time.