- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lemon Chiffon Pie Recipe
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Yellow food color||1 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 247 Calories from Fat 120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g20.9%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 146.8 mg48.9%
Sodium 110.9 mg4.6%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.26 g1%
Sugars 25.6 g
Protein 5 g10.9%
Vitamin A 11.3% Vitamin C 16%
Calcium 3.8% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water in measuring cup and set aside to soften.
2. In double-boiler top separate eggs placing whites in large bowl of electric mixer, yolks.
3. Set whites aside to warm to room temperature.
4. Beat yolks slightly with wooden spoon and stir in lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar and salt.
5. Cook over hot, not boiling, water (water should not touch bottom of double-boiler top), stirring constantly,
6. Until mixture thickens and coats metal spoon for about 12 minutes.
7. Add gelatin mixture and lemon peel, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
8. Add 2 drops food color and mix well.
9. Remove pan from hot water and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool and has the consistency of unbeaten egg white for about 35 minutes.
10. Make the Graham-Cracker Pie Shell.
11. At high speed, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form when the beater is slowly raised— peaks bend slightly.
12. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
13. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when beater is raised.
14. With rubber scraper or wire whisk, gently fold gelatin mixture into egg-white mixture just until combined.
15. Gently turn into the pie shell, mounding high and refrigerate until firm—3 to 6 hours.
16. Whip cream until stiff, spread about half of it over pie and serve
17. Put remaining cream in pastry bag with number-30 decorating tip and pipe rosettes around pie edge.