- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lemon Meringue Pie With Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
|Shortcrust pastry||1⁄4 Pound (100 Gram)|
|Cornflour||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Lemons||2 , grated for rind and squeezed for juice|
|Sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
Calories 458 Calories from Fat 35
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.5 mg
Sodium 29.8 mg1.2%
Total Carbohydrates 104 g34.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6%
Sugars 85.2 g
Protein 3 g6.9%
Vitamin A 2.3% Vitamin C 37.2%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 2.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Thaw the pastry if store bought or prepare your favorite pastry recipe.
2. On a lightly floured work table, roll the pastry out into a circle, 1-inch larger than an 8-inch flan ring or tart tin.
3. Carefully lift the pastry and use it to line the ring, neatly trimming the edges.
4. Fill the pastry with some dried beans or with crumpled foil to prevent bubbly when blind baking.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C or Gas No. 6)
6. When the oven is hot, bake the pastry shell for 10 to 12 minutes until dry and pale.
7. Empty out beans or remove foil during last 5 minutes of baking
8. Remove from oven and let cool while preparing the filling.
9. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C or Gas No. 2)
10. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine corn flour, sugar lemon rind and water, stirring until well blended.
11. Place the pan over a low flame and cook the mixture, stirring constantly until it is thick, transparent and bubbly.
12. Take pan off the heat and stir in freshly squeezed lemon juice.
13. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.
14. Spoon some of the hot corn-flour sauce into the yolks and mix well.
15. Add the yolks to the hot sauce and blend into a smooth thick sauce.
16. Strain and spread into the baked pie shell.
17. Place pie on a baking sheet and set aside to cool while making meringue.
18. To make the meringue, in a clean dry bowl, add egg whites and whisk them with an electric beater or wire whisk until frothy.
19. Gradually add the sugar and beat continuously until stiff, making soft peaks.
20. Spoon the meringue on top of pie filling.
21. Place on middle level of warm oven.
22. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the meringue has set and lightly browned in places.
23. Remove tart from the ring onto a serving platter.
24. Cut into wedges.
25. The tart can be served warm or chill and serve if you like.