- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lemon Lentils Recipe
|Vegetable oil||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Medium, halved and thinly sliced|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Cinnamon stick pieces||4 (each about 2 inches long)|
|Masoor||2 Pound, washed|
|Masoor dal||2 Pound, picked over and washed|
|Root ginger||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chopped ginger root||1 Tablespoon (fresh)|
|Chicken stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , freshly juiced|
|Lemon||1 , squeezed|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Hot green chili||1 , chopped with seeds|
|Green chile||1 , chopped|
|Bay leaves||4 , crumbled|
|Coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chopped fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1068 Calories from Fat 430
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g74.8%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 357.9 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.5%
Dietary Fiber 30.3 g121.3%
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 46 g91.2%
Vitamin A 15.2% Vitamin C 35.4%
Calcium 11.8% Iron 40.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large, deep saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the oil over moderate-low heat.
2) As soon as the oil gets heated up, add the sliced onions and cook, mixing till they become soft and translucent.
3) Into the pan, now add the cinnamon, lentils, and ginger and cook, mixing frequently for about 10 minutes.
4) Add the stock and 5 cups hot water, salt to taste, and cayenne pepper.
5) Allow the mixture to boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook further for about 10 minutes.
6) Add the lemon juice and squeezed shell and cook about 50 minutes longer, mixing many a times.
7) In a small pan, heat the remaining 1/2 cup oil and add the chopped onion, garlic, chile, and bay leaves.
8) Cook while mixing, until the onion is browned.
9) Add this mixture along with the oil, to the lentils.
10) Serve hot garnished with the chopped coriander leaves.