- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lemon Delights ( Delizie al Limone ) - Italian Recipe Video
|For the mini sponge cakes|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||1 Medium|
|For the soaking syrup|
|Lemon zest||1 Medium|
|Liqueur||150 Milliliter (lemon liqueur)|
|For the lemon custard|
|Lemon zest||2 Medium|
|Heavy cream||500 Milliliter|
|Egg yolks||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||50 Gram|
|Liqueur||50 Milliliter (lemon liqueur)|
Calories 1066 Calories from Fat 505
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g88%
Saturated Fat 32.1 g160.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 761.5 mg
Sodium 64.2 mg2.7%
Total Carbohydrates 124 g41.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.2%
Sugars 91.6 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 45.5% Vitamin C 11.4%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 17.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the lemon delights by beating the egg yolks with ¾ cup (150 g) of sugar, until pale and foamy. Beat the egg whites with the remaining ¾ cup of sugar, this time adding the sugar little by little. When stiff peaks form, combine the 2 mixtures; after that, add the sifted flour and the grated zest of a lemon. Stir gently to blend all the ingredients.
2. Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C).
3. Put the mixture in a pastry bag, to fill the moulds, the moulds are round with a diameter of about 3 inches (8 cm), and they can be made of silicone or metal, fill the moulds, then bake the pan in static oven for about 20 minutes.
4. Prepare the lemon custard: melt the sugar in water; as soon as it comes to a boil, add the grated zest of 2 organic lemons, turn off the heat and let it steep for at least half an hour.
5. Strain the syrup and put on the stove again; then, in a bowl, beat the egg yolks with a whisk. As soon as the syrup comes to a boil, add it to the egg yolks in a thin stream, stirring with the whisk.
6. Soak the gelatin in very cold water and let it stay for 10 minutes, until softened. In a pan, pour the yolk mixture and the syrup. Now that it's come to a boil, pour in the lemon liqueur and the butter. When the butter begins to melt, let it cook on a very low flame for at least 2-3 minutes.
7. When the gelatin has softened, strain and add it to the mixture that is boiling. Stir for a few seconds and the gelatin will melt immediately, pour the custard into a large shallow container, cover the custard with cling film, so that it clings closely to the surface, put everything in the fridge, until nice and firm. To speed up, you can keep it in the freezer.
8. Prepare the soaking syrup, pour the water into a saucepan, the lemon liqueur, the sugar, the grated zest of 1 organic lemon and allow the sugar to melt; as soon as it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let it cool. Once cold, strain the mixture to remove the lemon zest.
9. When you take the custard out of the fridge, it will look gelatinous and firm, so put it in a blender and let it run until creamy. Then whip 2 cups (500 ml) of heavy cream with just under ½ cup (50 g) of powdered sugar, and add it to the custard. Stir gently to blend. If you see any lumps, strain the custard: the consistency will remain the same.
10. Assemble the dessert: take a mini sponge cake, pull some dough out of the middle and form an indentation for the filling; keep the dough aside, since you'll need it later.
11. Now soak the inside with the soaking syrup, and pipe in the custard, that has been put in a pastry bag so that it's easier to handle. Close it with the dough that has been set aside, and continue this way with all the mini sponge cakes.
12. Take the remaining lemon custard and thin with a few tablespoons of milk, light cream, or lemon liqueur. Put the sponge cakes on a cake rack and place a plate below to catch any dripping.
13. Now soak the surface with the soaking syrup, then cover with the thinned custard, use plenty of custard so that it pours down the sides to top the whole dessert. Do the same with the remaining lemon delights.
14. Keep your lemon delights in the fridge for at least an hour, then garnish with whipped cream and candied lemon zest.
15. Serve this delicious lemon dessert cold.