- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Leg of Lamb Recipe
|Leg of lamb||7 Pound|
|New potatoes||3 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 897 Calories from Fat 463
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g79.2%
Saturated Fat 23 g115%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281 mg93.7%
Sodium 944.2 mg39.3%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 77 g154.4%
Vitamin A 56.2% Vitamin C 23.7%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 39.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 500 F.
2) In a shallow roasting pan, arrange the lamb flat, fat side down.
3) Place the potatoes around meat, mark with butter.
4) Put the pan in the oven and roast, uncovered for 20 minutes.
5) Reduce the heat to 400F.
6) Flip the lamb fat side up and turn potatoes.
7) Sprinkle carrots, celery, onion, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic over and around lamb.
8) Place the pan in the oven and roast, turning potatoes occasionally, 35 to 40 minutes longer—lamb will be medium rare.
9) Place the lamb and potatoes on the serving platter and keep warm.
10) Spoon the drippings into 1-cup measure, leaving vegetables in pan.
11) Using a ladle, skim off all fat; discard.
12) In the pan, place the remaining drippings.
13) Stream in 1/2 cup water, the wine, salt, and pepper.
14) Allow the wine mixture to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for about 3 minutes.
15) Take the pan off the heat and discard bay leaves.
16) Pass the vegetables and juice through strainer into gravy boat.
17) Slice the leg of lamb crosswise and arrange on a warm serving plate.
18) Spoon the hot gravy on the top and serve.