- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Leek and Ham Pie with Cheese Crust Recipe
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Leeks||3 , sliced|
|Plain flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Cooked ham||6 Ounce, cut in to chunks (175 Gram)|
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Chilled butter||2 Ounce, diced (50 Gram)|
|Mature cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, grated (75 Gram)|
|Milk||8 Tablespoon (Plus Extra To Glaze)|
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 316
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55%
Saturated Fat 21.7 g108.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 957.1 mg39.9%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 25 g50.6%
Vitamin A 61% Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 38.1% Iron 30.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6,
2. In a saucepan melt the butter, and fry the leeks gently such that softened.
3. Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute and gradually add the milk and vegetable stock with constant stirring such that the sauce is thickened and smooth.
4. Let it simmer for more 5 minutes and remove from heat.
5. Stir in the ham cut into chunks along with salt and pepper as per taste.
6. To make the cheese crust, in a bowl add flour with a little salt and pepper and rub in the butter such that the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
7. Mix in cheese and enough of the milk to form soft dough.
8. Take a large ovenproof dish and transfer the leek mixture to it.
9. Over a lightly floured surface, press out the dough to a round to the same size as the dish holding the leek mixture.
10. Using a sharp knife, score the dough into wedges, place on top of the pie and brush with milk.
11. Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, such that golden brown.
12. Serve the pie hot with a green vegetable or a fresh green salad.