- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Leek and Ham Flan Recipe
|For the pastry|
|Plain flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Margarine/Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Lard||1 Ounce, diced (25 Gram)|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|For the filling|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Leek||1 , finely sliced|
|Chopped lean cooked ham||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Single cream||5 Ounce (1 Carton Of 142 Milliliter)|
|Watercress sprigs||4 (To Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1695 Calories from Fat 1035
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 117 g179.3%
Saturated Fat 51.8 g259.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 442.9 mg
Sodium 2646.6 mg110.3%
Total Carbohydrates 128 g42.7%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 34 g68.1%
Vitamin A 123% Vitamin C 43.7%
Calcium 29.8% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Heat oven to a temperature of 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour and salt and mix in the fats.
3) Rub the mix with the fingertips till the texture achieved is like breadcrumbs.
4) Knead to a firm dough with the right quantity of water.
5) Dust a board with flour, and roll out the dough.
6) Using the dough, line an 18 cm (7 inch) plain flan ring on a baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes.
7) Place greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes.
8) When baked, take out the paper and the beans.
9) In a pan, heat the butter and add the leek.
10) Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes, without browning the leek.
11) Remove the leek and place in the flan case with the ham.
12) In a bowl, whisk egg and cream and season with salt and pepper. Add into the flan.
13) Lower the oven temperature to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4, and place the flan in for 25-30 minutes (or till the filling sets).
14) To freeze for up to 2 months, cool quickly and store in a polythene sealable bag.
15) To serve after freezing, without the bag, thaw the flan in the refrigerator overnight.
16) Heat through for 25 minutes in a oven at 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
17) Garnish with watercress sprigs.