- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lebanese Sweet Phyllo Triangles Stuffed with Custard Recipe Video
|2% milk/Fat free milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), mixed with 1/2 cup water|
|Ground pistachio||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Simple syrup||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Atyr)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Of 1/2 Lemon)|
|Whole milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fat free milk/Fat free milk with the taste of 2% milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Mixed With 0.5 Cup Of Water)|
|White bread slices||7 Medium, crust removed|
|Phyllo dough sheets||1 Pound (One Package)|
|Melted butter||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Sweet Cream Butter - If Available)|
|Powdered pistachios||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar syrup||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Atyr Simple Sugar Syrup)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Juice of lemon||1⁄2 Medium|
|Orange blossom water||1 Tablespoon|
|Rose water||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 3485 Calories from Fat 1189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.7%
Saturated Fat 75.1 g375.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 337.9 mg
Sodium 1259.5 mg52.5%
Total Carbohydrates 562 g187.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30.1%
Sugars 129.8 g
Protein 35 g69.5%
Vitamin A 80.1% Vitamin C 16.3%
Calcium 67.8% Iron 43%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare the simple syrup, combine sugar, water and lemon juice in a pot and let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes then add the rose water and orange blossom water and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using. Store in a tight jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
3. For custard pour whole milk, fat free milk, heavy cream, sugar and corn starch in a medium size pot and stir.
4. Cut white bread into pieces and add to pot and stir. Mix until custard begins to thicken
5. Add rose and orange water and stir until custard is very thick.
6. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Set on counter top and let cool completely, stir every 15 minutes. If making in advance, cover bowl with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator.
7. To make the phyllo dough triangles, lay out the phyllo dough and paint each layer with melted butter. Cut layered phyllo dough into 3 inch strips.
8. Place one large spoon of ashta at the end of each strip and fold over into triangles as shown in the video.
9. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
10. Place triangles on a non stick pan and paint with butter.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
13. Pour the simple syrup over the triangles and sprinkle with pistachios
14. Serve warm or cold.