- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Leah's (so) Simple Poppy Seed Roll Recipe Video
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lukewarm soy milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (at room temp)|
|All purpose flour/Bread flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3381 Calories from Fat 911
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 103 g158.7%
Saturated Fat 19.3 g96.3%
Trans Fat 6.3 g
Cholesterol 372.2 mg124.1%
Sodium 2846.8 mg118.6%
Total Carbohydrates 534 g178.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.6%
Sugars 104.9 g
Protein 73 g145.4%
Vitamin A 90.7% Vitamin C 0.18%
Calcium 28% Iron 156.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Let it rest and bubble for a while.
2. Add the milk, sugar, salt, eggs, margarine and half the flour. Mix by hand with a wooden spoon or beat with a hand mixer.
3. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, to form a soft dough. It shouldn't be sticky but it shouldn't be too stiff.
4. Knead the dough with a dough hook or by hand until very smooth, about 10 minutes.
5. The dough will stretch without tearing when kneaded enough.
6. Grease a bowl, add the dough upside down, and turn to have oiled side up. Cover with a tea towel until double in bulk.
The remaining ingredients are as follows:
-1 can of poppyseed filling
-1 beaten egg for eggwash
Once the dough is made and has doubled in size, we're gonna take 1/2 of the sweet dough, per 1 can of poppyseed filling, and roll it into a rectangular shape with a rolling pin.
Soften the poppyseed filling in the microwave a little bit so that it is easier to smear onto the dough. Once softened, spread the entire can of poppyseed filling onto the rectangular rolled-out dough. Pull the end of the dough towards you and lift over the remaining dough to begin rolling. Be sure to roll it up tight, tucking it in tight after each roll until the dough is completely rolled-up. Pinch the seam a little bit to ensure the dough doesn't unravel.
Place onto a greased baking sheet, and brush it with egg wash to create the sheen you see after it is baked. One the top has been brushed in the egg wash, be sure to use a serrated knife to create some slits in the top.
This poppyseed roll DOES NOT need to rise, so pop it into the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, slice, and enjoy!