- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|For tomato sauce:|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground chuck||1⁄2 Pound|
|Ground pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Canned italian tomatoes||35 Ounce, undrained (1 Can 2 Pound 3 Ounces)|
|Tomato paste||12 Ounce (2 Cans, 6 Ounce Each)|
|Dried basil leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Lasagna noodles||1 Pound (1/2 Package)|
|Ricotta cheese||1 Pound|
|Thinly sliced mozzarella||1 Pound|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3 Ounce (1 Jar)|
Calories 793 Calories from Fat 357
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g62%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 1559.7 mg65%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.7%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 44 g87.4%
Vitamin A 56.5% Vitamin C 46%
Calcium 74.9% Iron 31.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) First, prepare the tomato sauce by following the instructions below.
2) In a deep, heavy skillet, heat oil over low heat.
3) In hot oil, saute the onion, garlic and parsley until onion turns soft, for about 5 minutes.
4) To the skillet, add chuck and pork.
5) Saute the meat by stirring continuously, until the meat is browned well.
6) To the same skillet, add the rest of the sauce ingredients, stirring and mixing well.
7) Bring to a boil.
8) Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 3 hours. Stir the sauce during cooking, occasionally. Remove from heat and keep aside.
9) Prepare noodles by following the instructions given below.
10) In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water and salt to a boil.
11) To the hot water, add olive oil.
12) Slowly add lasagna noodles, few pieces at a time.
13) Continue to boil the water.
14) Cook the noodles, uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring as required.
15) Remove from heat and drain well.
16) Now, rinse the noodles under hot water and keep aside.
17) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
18) Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
19) Follow the steps given below to assemble Lasagna.
20) Into the bottom of the greased dish, spoon 1/3 of the tomato sauce evenly.
21) Over the sauce layer, spread 1/3 each of the cooked noodles, Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
22) Prepare two more layers, beginning with sauce and ending with Parmesan cheese.
23) Bake uncovered in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top becomes brown.
24) Let lasagna stand in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. .
25) Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
To prepare the dish ahead of time, make the tomato sauce and cook the noodles as directed. Assemble the lasagna and refrigerate covered until 2 hours before serving. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Bake and serve as directed.