- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lancashire Hot Pot Recipe
|Mutton neck||1 Pound (Scrag End Of Middle)|
|Seasoned flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mixed herbs||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Stock/Vegetable cooking water||1⁄2 Pint|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 1037 Calories from Fat 587
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.3%
Saturated Fat 28.3 g141.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 165.9 mg
Sodium 1108.3 mg46.2%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g22%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.1%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 48 g95.6%
Vitamin A 626.2% Vitamin C 92.4%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 32%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) From the meat, trim away all the fat, gristle and bones and then cut it into cubes. Roll the pieces in seasoned flour and fry in hot fat to seal. Lightly brown.
2) Cut the potato into slices, keeping about half of the best slices for the top. Arrange the remaining slices in a casserole dish’s base.
3) Cut the carrots and onion into slices. Rinse the celery, trim it and cut into slices. Toss the slices with the seasoning and mixed herbs.
4) Preheat oven to temperature of 335 degrees.
5) Over the potato slices placed in the casserole, arrange alternate layers of mixed vegetables and meat. Top with the potato slices kept aside, arrange neatly. Pour the stock all over and cover the casserole with a greased paper and lid.
6) Place the casserole in the center of the preheated oven and cook for 2 to 3 ½ hours.
7) Serve hot after sprinkling with some chopped parsley.
About 30 minutes before serving, the potatoes can be brushed lightly with some fat and sprinkled with some salt for more taste.