- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Lamb Stuffed Cabbage Leaves Recipe
|Ground lamb||4 Cup (64 tbs), cooked|
|Bacon slices||8 , crumbled|
|Soda cracker crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten (1 Cab)|
|Vegetable bouillon cube||1|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 481 Calories from Fat 318
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.5%
Saturated Fat 15.9 g79.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 153.6 mg
Sodium 346.6 mg14.4%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 25 g49.6%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 81.3%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 16%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. With a sharp knife cut, core out cabbage, pull off and discard any coarse outer leaves and then carefully remove 18 whole leaves, one at a time.
2. Save any remaining cabbage for another meal.
3. In a large frying pan in a small amount of boiling salted water steam leaves, covered for 8 minutes, or such that limp and drain well.
4. In a large bowl, with a fork mix lamb, bacon, cracker crumbs, onion, garlic, tomato juice, eggs, salt and pepper lightly until blended.
5. Lay cabbage leaves flat, place 2 to 3 tablespoons meat mixture in middle of each and fold thick end up over filling folding both sides toward middle.
6. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, to cover filling completely and fasten with one or two wooden picks.
7. In a large frying pan in butter or margarine Brown rolls, a few at a time and pile all rolls back into pan.
8. In 1 cup hot water in a 1-cup measure dissolve bouillon cube, pour over rolls and cover.
9. Let it steam for 20 minutes such that cabbage is tender.
10. Place on a heated serving platter and keep hot while making gravy.
11. From the pan into a 1-cup measure pour drippings adding water, if needed, to make 1 cup and return to the pan.
12. In a cup, blend flour with 1 tablespoon water such that smooth.
13. Stir into liquid in the pan and cook over low heat with constant stirring such that the gravy thickens and boils for 1 minute.
14. Season as per taste with salt and pepper and into a heated bowl pour the liquid to spoon over cabbage rolls.
15. Serve hot.