- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lamb Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
|Lamb||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, ground|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked (White Or Brown)|
|White and brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked|
|Garlic clove||1 Small, crushed|
|Thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Rosemary||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cabbage head||2 Pound (1 Head)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 677 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.3%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90.3 mg
Sodium 356.5 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.9 g39.6%
Sugars 22.2 g
Protein 23 g46.5%
Vitamin A 22.6% Vitamin C 167.4%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 24.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl combine the first 8 ingredients, add 1/3 of the tomato sauce and mix well with a fork.
2. Trim the outside leaves from the cabbage cut a small slice about 3 inches in diameter, from the top end and set aside.
3. Hollow out the cabbage leaving a shell about 1/2 inch thick such that the core end is even and the cabbage will sit level.
4. Into the cabbage shell spoon lamb mixture, pressing it down firmly and fitting top back into place tie with a string.
5. In a pan saute onion in margarine until soft, add remaining tomato sauce, sugar, salt and water and bring to a boil with constant stirring.
6. Remove from heat and keep aside.
7. In a deep casserole or Dutch oven place the cabbage with core end down.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F.
9. Pour sauce over cabbage and bake with cover for 1 1/2 hours, basting with the sauce 2 or 3 times.
10. On a heated serving platter, place the cabbage removing the string and spoon the sauce over.
11. To serve, cut into wedges.