- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lamb In A Pita Recipe
|Bulgur wheat||236 Milliliter (1 Cup, Uncooked)|
|Boiling water||236 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Extra light olive oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seed oil||1 Dash|
|Yellow onion||1 , peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled, smashed and finely chopped|
|Ground lamb leg||8 Ounce (227 Grams)|
|Lamb stock/Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Mango chutney||4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seed||2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon, mixed with 2 teaspoons water|
|Fresh parsley||30 Milliliter, finely chopped|
|Strained yogurt||118 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Whole wheat pita breads||4 , cut in half|
|Chinese cabbage leaves||8|
Calories 747 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.9 mg15.6%
Sodium 1657.3 mg69.1%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.7%
Dietary Fiber 32.8 g131.1%
Sugars 24.2 g
Protein 51 g101.8%
Vitamin A 1518.8% Vitamin C 1280.3%
Calcium 188.8% Iron 110.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a small bowl and place bulgur in it.
2) Cover with water on top and let steep for 10 minutes.
3) In a large hot skillet, heat oil and sautÃ© onion and garlic in it for about 4 minutes until the onion browns.
4) Stir in lamb and cook for about 4 minutes until completely browned.
5) Mix in 1 cup (236 ml) of the cooked bulgur, the stock, oregano, chutney, cumin seed, cayenne pepper, rosemary and salt and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
6) Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for 9 minutes.
7) Take it off from heat and bring to a boil after mixing in cornstarch slurry.
8) Cook the mixture for about 30 seconds and stir until thickened.
9) To a plate, transfer it and top with parsley.
10) Cool the mixture quickly by spreading it out before stirring in half of the yogurt.
11) Into the pita halves, spoon the lamb mixture and top each with a tablespoon (15 ml) of the remaining yogurt and then with a cabbage leaf.
12) Serve at once.