- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lafayette's Spicy Baked Red Beans Recipe
|Small red beans||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and stuck with 4 whole cloves|
|Carrot||1 , finely chopped|
|Fresh thyme sprig/1/2 teaspoon dried||4|
|Minced flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried red chili||2 Small (Use Tiny Sized)|
|Lean salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/4-inch dices|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||2 , finely chopped|
|Finely chopped scallion greens||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed through a press|
Calories 437 Calories from Fat 283
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.5%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 73.4 mg
Sodium 975.6 mg40.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.7%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 13 g26.6%
Vitamin A 79.2% Vitamin C 30.1%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large flameproof casserole, place the beans and cover with at least 2 inches of water.
2) Place over moderate heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour.
3) Drain the beans after an hour and rinse under cold running water.
4) Preheat the oven to 400°.
5) In the casserole, place the beans.
6) Add onion stuck with cloves, carrot, thyme, bay leaves, 3 tablespoons of the parsley and the chiles.
7) Cover with fresh cold water up to 2 inches.
8) Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
9) Simmer, by reducing the heat to moderate for 1 hour, until the beans are just tender.
10) Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling water, blanch the diced salt pork for 4 minutes.
11) Drain the pork and dry on paper towels.
12) In a medium skillet, add butter and melt over moderately high heat.
13) Add the shallots, scallion greens and salt pork and cook for 5 minutes, until the salt pork browns.
14) Drain the beans and collect 2 cups of liquid.
15) Combine the salt pork mixture with beans along with the garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
16) Pour in the reserved cooking liquid and place inside oven t bake, covered, for 40 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
17) Remove the sprigs of thyme, bay leaves and chiles before transferring on a serving bowl, to serve.