- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lady Baltimore Cake Recipe
|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (Not Self Rising)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||4 Large|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For filling and frosting|
|Candied cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Dried figs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fluffy white frosting||2 Cup (32 tbs) (2 Batches)|
Calories 1884 Calories from Fat 403
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.3%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g52.8%
Trans Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 7.5 mg
Sodium 1409.1 mg58.7%
Total Carbohydrates 359 g119.5%
Dietary Fiber 14.9 g59.6%
Sugars 151.9 g
Protein 27 g53.3%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 58.5% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In 1-cup measuring cup, stir milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
3. In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Sprinkle in 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar has dissolved and egg whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted. Do not overbeat.
4. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat shortening and remaining 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended, scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
5. With spatula, gently fold one-third of beaten egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining egg whites until blended. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake until cake springs back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Run thin knife around layers to loosen from sides of pans. Invert onto racks to cool completely.
6. In small bowl, combine cherries, figs, raisins, and pecans; set aside. Prepare Fluffy White Frosting. Stir fruit mixture into 3 cups frosting.
7. With serrated knife, cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Place one layer, rounded side down on cake plate. With narrow metal spatula, spread one-third of fruit mixture over cake layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up, and spread with half of remaining fruit mixture. Top with third layer, rounded side down, and top with remaining fruit mixture. Place remaining cake layer, rounded side up, on top. Spread remaining frosting over side and top of cake.