- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kurukku Kalan Recipe
|Raw green plantain||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Elephant yam||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Yogurt||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fenugreek powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coconut||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), grated (For grinding)|
|Green chilies||1 Medium|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Tempering)|
|Coconut oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chili||1 Medium|
|Curry leaves||2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 918 Calories from Fat 389
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.1%
Saturated Fat 32.8 g164.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.8 mg
Sodium 1266.9 mg52.8%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.6%
Dietary Fiber 27.2 g108.7%
Sugars 36.4 g
Protein 35 g70.4%
Vitamin A 53.5% Vitamin C 115.1%
Calcium 70.3% Iron 138.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Beat the curd using manual beater and remove lumps.
2. Grind coconut, cumin seeds and green chili to a coarser paste.
3. In a pan, add plantain, yam, turmeric powder, chili powder and pepper power. Pour some water atleast a level above these vegetables and pressure cook until they turn mushy. Drain water and keep aside the cooked vegetables.
4. In a skillet, add cooked vegetables and coconut paste. Sauté this mixture until it gets nicely blended and raw smell of the coconut paste vanishes.
5. Add more turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, salt and continue to sauté for few more minutes until their flavors get blended.
6. Add beaten curd and simmer the curry for 10 minutes until it gets slightly thick. Keep on stirring during the cooking period to avoid curdling of the curry.
7. In a pan heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, and dried chilies and fry until they slightly get browned.
8. Pour seasoning over kalan and mix well.
9. Serve this kurukku kalan with rice.