- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Kugelhopf Recipe
|Seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105 To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast package||1 Teaspoon (1 Package)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole blanched almonds||16|
|Butter sticks/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (1 1/2 And 1/2 Stick)|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6132 Calories from Fat 2483
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 281 g432.5%
Saturated Fat 131.6 g657.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1352.3 mg
Sodium 2374 mg98.9%
Total Carbohydrates 782 g260.6%
Dietary Fiber 38.7 g154.8%
Sugars 291.4 g
Protein 129 g258.7%
Vitamin A 136.7% Vitamin C 39.2%
Calcium 96.5% Iron 215.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around edge of pan; remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup granulated sugar; let cool to lukewarm.
3. If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer. Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl; stir until dissolved. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture and 2 1/2 cups flour; with wooden spoon or electric mixer beat until smooth—about
4. Cover bowl with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, until double in bulk—about 1 hour. Batter will be light and spongy.
5. Meanwhile, butter generously a 3-quart Turk's-head tube mold, 9 inches in diameter. Sprinkle inside of mold with slivered almonds. Place whole almond in each indentation in bottom of mold.
6. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat softened butter with remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the salt until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition; beat until smooth.
7. At low speed, beat in 1 cup flour and the risen batter until smooth and well blended.
8. With wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour and the raisin mixture, beating until well combined.
9. Pour batter into prepared mold. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until batter rises almost to top of pan.
10. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
11. Bake Kugelhopf 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 20 minutes.
12. Run spatula around sides of pan to loosen; turn out on wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Let cool completely.
13. To store: Wrap in waxed paper, then in foil. Store in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator if storing for a week or two. Store in freezer if keeping longer.
14. To serve: Let warm to room temperature. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar. Slice thinly; serve, lightly buttered, with coffee.