- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Konigsberg Meat Balls Recipe
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Meat loaf mixture||2 Pound (Ground Beef, Pork And Veal)|
|Canned anchovy fillets||2 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Tablespoon|
|Instant beef broth/1 teaspoon granulated beef bouillon||2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Capers||2 Tablespoon, well drained|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 879 Calories from Fat 521
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.4%
Saturated Fat 22.5 g112.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 385.8 mg
Sodium 1520.6 mg63.4%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 70 g140.7%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 23.2%
Calcium 15.4% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a shallow dish, keep bread slices in single layer and pour over milk.
2) Keep aside for about 10 minutes until bread slices absorb milk and then crumble the slices into small pieces with a fork.
3) Take a large bowl and mix together meat-loaf mixture, half the anchovies, eggs, onion, lemon rind, seasonings and bread in it.
4) Figure the mixture into 32 balls.
5) In a large skillet, bring beef broth and water to a boil.
6) Using a slotted spoon, lower meat balls into boiling broth and then uncover and simmer for 15 minutes until meat is no longer pink in center.
7) Transfer the balls to a deep platter, reserving the cooking liquid.
8) For the sauce, take a medium-size saucepan and melt butter or margarine in it.
9) Mix in flour and sugar and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
10) Slowly pour in wine and 2 cups of the cooking liquid and then cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
11) Add in capers, lemon juice, and remaining half of anchovies, stirring until anchovies are mixed with the sauce.
12) Pour the sauce over meat balls.
13) Serve the balls hot with sauerkraut and mashed or boiled potatoes, if desired.