- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
South African Doughnut Recipe Video
|Sugar||500 Gram (FOR SYRUP)|
|Lime||1 Medium, juiced (FOR SYRUP)|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, ground (FOR SYRUP)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 (FOR SYRUP)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (FOR SYRUP and as needed, FOR DOUGH)|
|All purpose flour/Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (FOR DOUGH)|
|Baking powder||2 Tablespoon (FOR DOUGH)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (FOR DOUGH)|
|Egg||1 Medium (FOR DOUGH)|
|Milk||150 Milliliter (FOR DOUGH)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (FOR DOUGH)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (or as required, for frying)|
Calories 1300 Calories from Fat 566
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.6%
Saturated Fat 12.2 g60.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.4 mg22.1%
Sodium 1109.6 mg46.2%
Total Carbohydrates 178 g59.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 127.3 g
Protein 9 g18.5%
Vitamin A 5.7% Vitamin C 3.7%
Calcium 62.1% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. FOR SYRUP: In a pan, boil water, add sugar. Stir till it dissolves.
2. Add lime juice, cinnamon stick and fresh ginger. Stir well, reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
3. When it thickens, remove from heat and transfer it to another bowl.
4. Refrigerate it for at least 8 hours.
5. FOR DOUGH: In a large bowl, put the flour and baking powder and mix well.
6. Add butter and mix well. Put in the egg and mix again till incorporated.
7. Pour the milk into this mixture and knead to dough. If the dough is too dry, add water to make it soft. If it is sticky, then add flour to bring it right consistency.
8. Knead the dough till soft and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
9. After 30 minutes, knead the dough further and divide it into small potions.
10. Take 1 portion and roll it into a small sheet using a rolling pin.
11. Cut the edges to make them even.
12. Using a knife, cut the sheet into 3 strips. Do not separate the strips. One end should be intact. It should look like a bunch of strips.
13. Put the strips above each other like plaiting. Press the ends to hold them together.
14. Repeat this process to all other portions.
15. In a pan, heat vegetable oil and fry the koeksisters.
16. Fry till golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel.
17. Dip them in the chilled syrup and let them absorb the syrup.
18. In a serving plate, serve them immediately or serve them cold.