- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kebab Samakeyah Recipe
|Bulgur||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cracked Wheat)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Small, cut in half|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fish filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Firm fish fillets||1⁄2 Pound (Such As Flounder Or Cod)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Scallions||2 , trimmed and chopped|
|Chopped cilantro||1 Tablespoon (Coriander)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Tahini sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Tahini||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Sesame Seed Paste)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5673 Calories from Fat 4778
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 544 g836.6%
Saturated Fat 82.9 g414.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 214.5 mg
Sodium 908.5 mg37.9%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.6%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.6%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 120 g239.9%
Vitamin A 104.8% Vitamin C 117.5%
Calcium 52.1% Iron 67.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cover bulgur with water and soak for 30 minutes.
2. Drain a handful at a time, thoroughly squeeze out all liquid.
3. Place bulgur, onion and salt and pepper in processor and process with on-and-off turns until nearly smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
4. Transfer to bowl and knead until smooth.
5. Set aside.
6. For fish filling, you must first steam fish until just cooked.
7. Flake into small pieces and set aside.
8. Heat butter in a small skillet for 3-5 minutes.
9. Add onion and scallions and saute until onion wilts. Stir in flaked fish, cilantro, cumin and salt and pepper, stirring gently over medium heat for 2 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
10. For making Tahini sauce, place tahini and 1/2 cup water in a processor or blender and blend until smooth.
11. Add wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Add enough water to bring sauce to pouring consistency.
12. Transfer to small bowl; stir in parsley. Set aside, covered, at room temperature.
13. In order to assemble, place small bowl of ice water on work surface.
14. Using palms, form golf ball—size balls of bulgur mixture.
15. Dip fingers in ice water as you work, shape each ball into a hollow tube around your index finger, gently pressing mixture into small cigar-shaped tubes about 3 inches long.
16. Moisten fingers frequently and patch any cracks as you work.
17. Slip each shell off your finger and fill with about 1 tablespoon of cooled fish filling, using a small spoon.
18. Press ends of tubes over fish filling, forming a tight seal. Cover and freeze until firm for at least 2 hours.
19. Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in large saucepan to 375°F.
20. Fry kababs until golden, 4 to 5 minutes, turning once.
21. Serve immediately with tahini sauce.