- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kunafa Recipe Video
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Pound|
|Sugar syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pistachios||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Pound, melted (227 Grams)|
Calories 2514 Calories from Fat 1785
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 203 g312.2%
Saturated Fat 103.8 g518.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 452.5 mg
Sodium 1609.3 mg67.1%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 29.2 g
Protein 71 g141.4%
Vitamin A 98.1% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 146% Iron 16.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter the baking pan.
3. If you are using Nabulsyya cheese, you need to soak it over night in water and change the water frequently to get rid of the high salt content in it.
4. If you are using Akkawi cheese, you need to get rid of the salt in it by soaking it for an hour or so, changing the water frequently until most of the salt is washed out.
5. In a large dough gently loosen the knafeh dough and mix very well with the 1/2 pound of melted butter by rubbing the dough between your hands with the butter, adding it little by little for about 10 to 15 minutes. The dough should become fluffy and light, if you gather it with your hands and let go it should retain its fullfy texture.
6. Cover the pan with 3/4 of the dough, press down lightly.
7. Add cheese evenly, then add the top layer of the dough, not as thick as the bottom layer.
8. If using Ricotta cheese, spread in an even layer over the knafeh dough and then the mozzarella cheese then cover with the remaining half of the dough. Press down gently.
9. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 to 18 minutes on a 350 degrees F. If you shake the pan, it should be loose and the edges are brownish, this means that the Knafeh is done.
10. Immediately pour cold sugar syrup evenly over the hot Knafeh , sprinkle the pistachios on top of it and serve hot. Enjoy!
A note: You can add a quarter of a teaspoon knafeh orange dye in accordance with the dough while working on it with butter if it is available, but if you cannot find it , baking the knafeh to a golden color would make it look good to.