- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Killi Pota Sambar Recipe
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind ball||1 Small (Lemon size)|
|Coconut||3 Tablespoon, grated|
|Asafoetida powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves chopped||2 Teaspoon|
|Toor dal||75 Gram|
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 123
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.8%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 124.2 mg5.2%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51.2%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 14 g28.8%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 112.6%
Calcium 9.1% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedPressure cooker
Deep frying pan
1. Pressure cook toor dal in 300 ml of water. Mash and keep ready.
2. Soak tamarind in 600 ml water to make tamarind water. Filter and keep ready.
3. Roast coconut in 1 teaspoon oil. Keep ready.
4. Temper mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves in oil. Keep ready.
5. Take a frying pan, add oil, and throw in fenugreek. Fry until golden. Add red chilies to this and fry.
6. Add shallots and green chilies. Saute until shallots become soft.
7. Throw in the other vegetables too and saute. Pour the tamarind water to this. Sprinkle salt. Bring it to a boil. Sprinkle asafoetida powder and throw in the coriander leaves. Let the mixture boil until the vegetables cook well.
8. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the boiled toor dal to this. Put the roasted coconut mixture in, too. Bring it a boil again. Adjust taste as required. If the sambar is too thick, add a cup of hot water and adjust taste again. Switch off the stove.
9. Add the tempered mustard seeds to this.
10. Serve hot over plain white rice along with a vegetable side dish.