- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Killarney Cherries Recipe
|Claret/Any other superior quality red wine||1 Pint|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red currant jelly||2 Tablespoon|
|Cherry brandy||3 Tablespoon|
|Whipped cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 479 Calories from Fat 182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31%
Saturated Fat 13.3 g66.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82.9 mg
Sodium 107.1 mg4.5%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.2%
Sugars 47.6 g
Protein 2 g3.1%
Vitamin A 0.02% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 4.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the cherries, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
2. Tip in the claret/red wine.
3. Place on a medium low flame and bring to a boil, then simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until the cherries are soft.
4. Remove the cherries into a bowl, using a slotted spoon and chill in the refrigerator.
5. Continue simmering the liquid until it reduces to 1/3rd original volume.
6. Blend the jelly into the hot sauce.
7. Chill the sauce well before serving.
8. Blend the Kirschwasser and sugar into the whipped cream just before serving.
9. Spoon the cherries in a chilled silver coupe dish set in a bed of ice.
10. Add cherry brandy to the sauce and pour over the cherries.
11. Top with flavored whipped cream and serve immediately while chilled.