- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kidney Bean and Lamb Soup Recipe
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lamb shank||1 Large|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3671 Calories from Fat 1822
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 203 g312.1%
Saturated Fat 91.4 g457.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 935.5 mg
Sodium 6725.8 mg280.2%
Total Carbohydrates 165 g55%
Dietary Fiber 38.3 g153.2%
Sugars 30.1 g
Protein 290 g580.3%
Vitamin A 248.6% Vitamin C 148.5%
Calcium 45.9% Iron 215.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take 3 cups of water, and soak beans overnight or quickly soak.
2. Drain the bean liquid but reserve some. Dilute it with enough water to make 6 cups.
3. Take a Dutch oven, soften butter and brown the lamb shanks in it.
4. Stir in celery, onion, garlic and carrot and saute until the vegetables are soft.
5. Stir in remaining ingredients except lemon juice and boil the mixture.
6. Reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for another 1 ½ hours until the meat turns soft.
7. Take out the shank from soup, cool it slightly and separate the meat from bones.
8. Chop the meat into small pieces and add it back to the soup.
9. Take out bay leaf.
10. Add lemon juice, and adjust seasonings as per the taste preferences.
11. Serve the kidney bean and lamb soup hot with freshly baked bread.