- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Khoresht Bademjan Recipe Video
|Boneless beef||1 1⁄2 Pound (½ inch pieces)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chop|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried lime||3⁄4 Teaspoon (limu omani)|
|Cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||3⁄4 Teaspoon, chopped finely|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, chopped finely|
|Cardamom seeds||1 Pinch|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Grape seed oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggplants||4 Medium, peeled|
|Oil||5 Tablespoon (For deep frying)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, slice (campari tomatoes)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
Calories 690 Calories from Fat 359
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.9%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98.7 mg
Sodium 872.7 mg36.4%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12.1%
Dietary Fiber 16 g63.9%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 50 g99.8%
Vitamin A 21.8% Vitamin C 56.8%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 44.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedLarge saucepan
1. Wash and peel the eggplant leaving the green top, make a 1 ½ inch slit down the length of the eggplant without cutting it all the way through.
2. Sprinkle salt evenly over the eggplants let it sit for 10-15 minutes, until they begin to sweat; this process helps to draw out all the moisture.
3. Gently pat dry with a towel and keep it aside.
4. Slice the tomatoes and chop the onions and garlic, keep it aside.
5. In a large pan add 4 tablespoon of grape seed oil and keep the flame to medium high. Add the onion and fry until golden brown, reserve 2 tablespoon of sautéed onion and keep it aside for the eggplants.
6. Add the turmeric followed by the beef to the onions sauté for 4-5 minute.
7. Add the cinnamon, limu- omani, cumin and salt and pepper, ginger and garlic, tomato paste, lemon juice mix all the ingredients well along with the meat.
8. Add 5 cups of water and stir, cover pan with the lid and simmer on medium heat for 1 hour.
9. After an hour, add the cardamom and 1 tablespoon of oil and then cook it further, uncovered, for another 30 minutes.
10. In a pan and pour 5 tablespoons of oil fry the eggplant in the pan for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
11. In the same pan add the sliced tomatoes, turmeric, salt and pepper, and the reserved onion. Cover with lid add ¼ cup of water and cook for about 20-25 minutes on medium low heat.
12. When the meat mixture is cooked, remove the eggplants very gently without breaking them and add to the stew, reserve the tomatoes from the eggplant.
13. Now simmer the eggplants with meat for 10 minutes and it’s ready to serve.
14. In a serving dish place the eggplant and pour the khoresht bademjan on top.
15. Put the reserved tomatoes on the khoresht bademjan.
16. Serve the khoresht bademjan with Persian rice or polo.
Cook the eggplants separately and then add that to the meat mixture. Reason being that when you cook the eggplant the oil can seep in the eggplants easily and can be cooked evenly.
If you don't eat red meat, you can use chicken, and if you're a vegetarian you can omit the meat altogether).
If you're able to find ghureh which are unripe sour grapes, it's an added bonus!
Khoresht Bademjan is also known as Chelow.