- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Khasta Kachori and Chaat - Dal Puri or Daal Poori Recipe Video
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the dough|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (As required per taste)|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon (As required)|
|Ghee||2 Tablespoon (Oil - 4 Tablespoons)|
|For the filling|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Green gram||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), split, skinless|
|Ground fennel||1 Teaspoon, powdered|
|Mango powder/Lime juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (As required per taste)|
|Ginger paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon|
|For the chaat|
|Yogurt||2 Tablespoon (Mixed with a pinch of salt, sugar and cumin powder)|
|Date and tamarind chutney||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cilantro mint chutney||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Fine sev||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 619 Calories from Fat 403
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.2%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.1 mg4.7%
Sodium 551.2 mg23%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g14.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.6%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 9 g18.1%
Vitamin A 17.7% Vitamin C 11.9%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Blender
2. Roller pin and board
1. Take a bowl with the split skinless green gram in it. Wash and rinse well in cold water. Soak this gram in water for about 3 to 4 hours.
To prepare the dough:
2. In a bowl add the flour, salt, ghee and mix it using your hand to combine well.
3. Gradually add water in small quantities at a time to knead a soft dough. Cover the dough and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
To prepare the filling:
4. After 3 to 4 hours drain all the water from bowl with soaked dal. Blend the drained dal in the blender into a coarse mixture.
5. Take a pan and heat it with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder and the coarsely ground split green gram (moong dal). Cover and cook the moong dal on medium heat. Add a little water if required for the cooking.
6. Once cooked, uncover and add the spices such as powdered fennel seeds, dry mango powder, sesame seeds, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt to taste. Also add a teaspoon each of green chili paste and ginger paste. Mix well, cover and cook for a few minutes so that all the added spices blends well with the moong dal.
7. Take small portions from the dough and using a roller pin roll the dough into rounds and fill the prepared filling in the center and close the round from all sides and pinch off the excess dough. With your hands flatten the rounds making a slight depression in the center.
8. In a pan heat about a couple of inches of oil to a medium low temperature and deep fry the prepared kachoris. Flip sides until both sides turn a golden brown color.
To prepare the chaat:
9. In a small bowl beat the yogurt really well until smooth and mix it with a pinch of salt, sugar and cumin powder.
10. In a serving plate, place the kachori, top it with a teaspoon each of onion, tomato, the prepared yogurt, date and tamarind chutney, mint and cilantro chutney and finally sprinkle some fine sev on top.
11. Serve garnished with a couple of fresh cilantro leaves.
To make the kachoris crispy, you can also add a little baking powder, rava, sooji or semolina to the flour.