- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Key Lime Pie Recipe
|Graham crackers||8 Large (2 1/2 X 5 Inch, Fat Free / Regular)|
|Cornstarch||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Evaporated skim milk||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Fat free egg substitute||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Key lime juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg whites||3 , warmed to room temperature|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2111 Calories from Fat 91
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.8%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72 mg
Sodium 1808.9 mg75.4%
Total Carbohydrates 449 g149.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.7%
Sugars 300.7 g
Protein 54 g107.7%
Vitamin A 56.5% Vitamin C 35.5%
Calcium 109.5% Iron 35.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Return the crumbs to the food processor. Add the sugar, and process for a few seconds to mix. Add the egg substitute, and process until the mixture is moist and crumbly.
3. Coat a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and use the back of a spoon to press the crumbs against the sides and bottom of the pan, forming an even crust. (Dip the spoon in sugar periodically, if necessary, to prevent sticking.) Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until the edges feel firm and dry. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the filling, combine the cornstarch and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan. Slowly stir in the evaporated milk, and place over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
5. Reduce the heat to low. In a small bowl, blend 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg substitute. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and cook, still stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not boil.
6. Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the lime juice. Pour the filling into the pie crust, and set aside.
7. To make the meringue, place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until foamy. Beat in the cream of tartar and salt, and continue beating until soft peaks form when the beaters are removed. Beat the sugar in slowly, adding 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the vanilla extract, and beat until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form when the beaters are removed.
8. Spread the meringue over the warm filling, swirling it with a knife or spoon. Make sure that the meringue touches all edges of the crust. Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, or just until the meringue is touched with brown. Chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.