- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kerala Sambar Recipe
|Mixed vegetables||4 Cup (64 tbs), cut into medium sized pieces - 3-4 cups|
|Sambar parippu/Tuvara parippu||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (sambar/toor dal)|
|Sliced onion||1 Medium|
|Green chillies||2 , slit|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Sambhar powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Pearl onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (kayam)|
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.9%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 181 mg7.5%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.5%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 9 g18.8%
Vitamin A 46.6% Vitamin C 42.3%
Calcium 12% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Next add the diced vegetables and dal along with salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and cover the pan and pressure cook on medium flame up to 2 whistles. (For pressure cooking, add enough water so as to cover the vegetables)
3. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water for sometime, squeeze and take the extract from it. Keep aside.
4. When the dal and vegetables are done, remove the lid of the pressure cooker and add in the tamarind juice. Stir and simmer on low flame for some more time and add more salt if needed.
5. Add chopped coriander leaves and and sprinkle asafoetida powder and simmer for 2 more minutes. Remove from flame and keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a wok and allow mustard seeds to splutter.
7. Add shallots, red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
8. Mix in the sambar powder, coriander powder and chilly powder and fry for 2 minutes on low flame.
9. Now pour the sambar to the wok and mix well for a few minutes. Remove from flame and keep aside.
Sambar Masala is a mixture of the following:-
Red chilly powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin powder, Turmeric powder, Fenugreek powder
Visit my website http://malayali.me for more recipes !!!