- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kerala Rice Puttu - Steamed Rice Cake Recipe Video
|Rice flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Coconut||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (+ 2 cups for steaming)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 254 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.4%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 327 mg13.6%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 4 g7.3%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 0.8% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large mixing bowl with rice powder, add a pinch of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of water. Mix well.
2. Then take a handful of the grated coconut, add to it 1 tablespoon of water. Crush this grated coconut between the palm and let the coconut milk fall into the rice flour. Once done, put the crushed and dried grated coconut into the rice flour bowl and mix well with hand to combine the mixture.
3. In a pressure cooker on medium high, pour the water in to about 1/4 level of the cooker. Cover and let the water boil and come to a steam.
4. While the water is boiling, take the puttu maker and add about a handful of the grated coconut in the bottom of the puttu maker, then add a handful or more of the rice flour mixture followed by some more grated coconut mixture, rice flour mixture and then top it off with little bit of the grated coconut.
5. Once the pressure cooker starts steaming, place this puttu maker onto the nozzle.
6. Before covering the puttu maker with a lid, wait until the steam passes from the nozzle into the puttu maker and out. Cover and let the puttu steam for about 3 - 4 minutes.
7. Once done, gently push the rice puttu from the puttu maker, making sure not to break it.
8. Serve this rice puttu hot with fish curry or any other favorite curry.