- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kathirikai Kichadi Recipe
|Brinjal||6 Medium, chopped|
|Onion||2 Medium, chopped|
|Tamarind ball||1 Small (3 gems candy size)|
|Green chili||2 , slit lengthwise|
|Red chili||1 , broken|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Corn flour||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 204 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 0.98 g4.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 93.1 mg3.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.2%
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 6 g11.8%
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 49.3%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 8.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedPressure cooker
1. Put the chopped brinjals in a bowl filled with water. This will help keep the vegetable from turning black.
2. In a frying pan, sputter mustard and urad dal with 1 teaspoon of oil. Fry red chilies and curry leaves. Keep it ready.
3. Soak tamarind in 100 ml water to make tamarind water. Filter and keep ready.
4. Add a teaspoon of cornflour to a tablespoon of water. Mix without clumps and keep ready.
5. Take the pressure cooker, add oil, and heat.
6. Throw in onion and green chilies. Saute. Add brinjals. Saute well.
7. Pour tamarind water along with 300 ml water. Sprinkle salt. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
8. Once it cools, save the water from the cooker in a container and mash the brinjals well. Pour the retained water into the brinjals again and bring it to a boil. Add the cornflour mix to the dish. Mix it well. Add the tempered mixture. Garnish with coriander and switch off stove.
9. Serve hot as a side dish for idli or dosai.