- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Karin Van Valkenberg's Grilled Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
|Rock salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Turkey||16 Pound, trussed|
Calories 1585 Calories from Fat 608
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.7%
Saturated Fat 19.1 g95.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 653.2 mg217.7%
Sodium 616.9 mg25.7%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 50 g
Protein 186 g371%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 13.6% Iron 64.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare brine of rock salt, brown sugar and at least 2 quarts of water.
2. In a deep bucket or pot place bird and add brine and more water if needed to cover the turkey completely.
3. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for 2 days.
4. In a barbecue kettle heat lots of coals and when hot, move the coals to evenly distribute around the perimeter.
5. Make an aluminum pan from foil and place in the cleared-out center.
6. After discarding the brine place the turkey breast side down in the pan and cover the kettle.
7. If desired add alder chips that have been soaked in water to the coals every so often for a smoked taste.
8. Turn the turkey after it has browned usually2-plus hours to cook a 14- to 16-pound turkey.
9. Serve the turkey after carving it and as desired.