- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Karin Van Valkenberg's Grilled Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
|Rock salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Turkey||16 Pound, trussed|
Calories 352 Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.9%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g23.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 163.3 mg
Sodium 346.2 mg14.4%
Total Carbohydrates 0.63 g0.21%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 46 g92.8%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 3.4% Iron 16.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare brine of rock salt, brown sugar and at least 2 quarts of water.
2. In a deep bucket or pot place bird and add brine and more water if needed to cover the turkey completely.
3. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for 2 days.
4. In a barbecue kettle heat lots of coals and when hot, move the coals to evenly distribute around the perimeter.
5. Make an aluminum pan from foil and place in the cleared-out center.
6. After discarding the brine place the turkey breast side down in the pan and cover the kettle.
7. If desired add alder chips that have been soaked in water to the coals every so often for a smoked taste.
8. Turn the turkey after it has browned usually2-plus hours to cook a 14- to 16-pound turkey.
9. Serve the turkey after carving it and as desired.