- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Karela Sabji - Karela nu Shak- Bitter Gourd Curry Recipe Video
|Bitter gourd||2 Medium|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed peanuts||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 109
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.4%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 272.2 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.4%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 12.1% Vitamin C 142.7%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the bitter gourd by removing the stems from both the ends. Take out the hard seeds and slice them into thin circles or half circles.
2. Wash and rinse the cut bitter gourd well. Squeeze out the water using your palms.
3. To reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd (karela), sprinkle some salt, mix well and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the bitter gourd pieces, cover it and let it cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Add green chili paste, garlic paste, crushed or ground peanuts, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder and jaggery. Stir well to combine everything together.
6. Taste the curry and add salt only if needed. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
7. Serve with jaggery roti (sweet roti) or regular roti.