- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kalam Polo Cabbage (Rice) Recipe Video
|Cabbage||1 Small, chopped|
|Ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|White rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White onion||2 Small, divided (1-diced; 1-grated)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Persian spice mix||To Taste (Advieh)|
|Any vegetable oil||6 Tablespoon, divided|
|Cumin||2 Teaspoon (as required)|
Calories 759 Calories from Fat 338
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.9%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40 mg13.3%
Sodium 163.2 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g29%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.6%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 18 g35.8%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 47.8%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 23.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the rice with 1 teaspoon salt for 1 hour in a pot.
2. Add Zafran (saffron) to 1/4 cup boiling water.
3. In a large bowl put the grated onions and add the ground beef to it.
4. Season with some salt, black pepper and Persian Spice mix (advieh) (as preferred), and mix the mixture thoroughly.
5. Shape the ground beef mixture into small meatballs. Set aside
6. In a pan fry the diced cabbage in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, stir well and let it fry for few minutes or until tender. Keep aside.
7. FOR RICE: Simmer the soaked rice until the rice becomes tender.
8. Drain the rice in a colander.
9. FOR MEATBALLS: In a small pot, fry the diced onions in 2 tablespoon vegetable oil until translucent.
10. Add the meatballs to the fried onions and fry along.
11. Put the fried cabbage, then pour the saffron (zafran) and stir gently. Let the mixture fry for about 10 more minutes over low heat.
12. In a large pot, pour 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil, spread half of the rice at the bottom of the pot.
13. Put the meatball mixture as second layer, then cover the mixture with the remaining of the rice and spread the rice across until it covers the mixture completely.
14. Sprinkle cumin on the top.
15. Cover the pot with a large napkin and put the lid on top. Cook for 20 minutes.
16. In a serving plate, serve this rice with any sautéed vegetable or enjoy it as it is.