- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kalam Polo Recipe Video
|For the rice|
|Basmati rice||3 Cup (48 tbs), cooked, drained|
|Salt||4 Tablespoon (Soaked in salt water)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Hot water for soaking)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (for cooking the rice)|
|For the cabbage|
|Cabbage head||1 , dice|
|Onion||1 Large, dice|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||8 Tablespoon, divided|
|Potato||1 Large, slice (¼ inch thick)|
|For the meat balls|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, chop|
|Turmeric powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, mince|
|Ginger piece||1 Small (1 inch peice)|
Calories 669 Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.7%
Saturated Fat 8 g40.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 3247.8 mg135.3%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.5%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 17 g34.7%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 62.9%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 19.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need8 quart pot
1. Wash the rice 3-4 times with water then soak the rice for 2 hours in hot water and add salt to the water.
2. In a food processor add the onions, ginger, garlic and process it till you get a puree.
3. Take a large mixing bowl and add the meat, turmeric, salt and pepper and also add the onion puree, Mix all the ingredients well.
4. Now you can make small meatballs out of the meat mixture once done keep it aside.
5. In a large pan you can now put the cabbage with no oil this process will evaporate all the steam from the cabbage.
6. Once done, add 4 tablespoon of oil and continue to cook the cabbage for 10 minutes or until brown once done keep it aside.
7. In a skillet add 4 Tablespoon of oil followed by the onions cook the onions until golden brown, add the turmeric, stir well, add the meat balls fry it for 10 minute however stir gently.
8. Once the meatballs are cooked put the entire content to the cabbage mixture and add salt if required and cook for 8 minutes once done keep it aside.
9. Now start cooking the drained rice with water and oil for 8 minute once cooked drain the rice in hot water and keep it aside.
10. In another pot pour 3 tablespoon of oil and you can sprinkle some saffron water and start layering the potatoes at the bottom then a layer of rice followed by the meat and cabbage mixture continue this finally you should have the rice layer on top.
11. Now you have to cook on medium high heat for 8-10 minute with the lid on.
12. You can place a wax paper and then put the lid on so that the steam does not escape so cook it for further 45 minutes.
13. Once done remove the top layer in a plate and then mix the rest of the rice and meat together.
14. Serve the kalam polo along with salad –e-gohej khair.