- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe Video
|Wine||1 Bottle (1 l) (JUST Cabernet Sauvignon Wine)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Thyme||2 Medium (fresh sprigs)|
|Italian parsley||6 Medium (fresh sprigs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped, with juices|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Carrot||2 Medium, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths|
|Shallots||8 Large, peeled, trimmed, rinsed, split and dried|
|Garlic clove||10 Medium, peeled|
|Flour||2 Tablespoon, for dredging the ribs|
|Black peppercorn||1 Teaspoon, crushed (+1 pinch freshly ground pepper)|
|Short ribs||6 Small, trimmed|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock/Chicken stock||2 Quart|
Calories 1165 Calories from Fat 805
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 89 g137.5%
Saturated Fat 37.1 g185.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174.8 mg
Sodium 861.1 mg35.9%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 44 g87.8%
Vitamin A 180.8% Vitamin C 151.3%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 56.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Season the ribs all over with salt and the crushed pepper, then dust the ribs with about 2 tablespoons of flour.
3. In a large saucepan set over medium to high heat, pour the wine, allow it to boil until it cooks down by half. Remove from the heat.
4. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, slip the ribs into the pan and sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until well browned.
5. Transfer the browned ribs to a plate. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot.
6. Lower the heat to medium, and toss in the vegetables and herbs. Brown the vegetables lightly for 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Then stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute to blend.
8. Add the reduced wine, browned ribs, and stock into a pot. Bring to a boil and cover the pot tightly.
9. Place into the oven to braise for about 2 ½ hours, or until the ribs are tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork. Every 30 minutes or so, lift the lid and skim and discard whatever fat may have bubbled up to the surface.
10. Carefully transfer the meat to a heated serving platter with and keep warm. Boil the pan liquid until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper and pass through a fine-mesh strainer; discard the solids.
11. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve with fries.