- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jugged Hare Recipe
|Hare||1 , jointed and trimmed|
|Bacon fat||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped|
|Onions||2 Large, each stuck with a clove|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Tablespoon (Or Finely Pared)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Water||2 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Butter||2 Ounce, mixed to a past with 2 ounce flour (50 Grams)|
|Port/Madeira||1⁄4 Pint (125 Milliliter)|
|Red currant jelly||2 Tablespoon|
|Fried bread croutons||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1071 Calories from Fat 425
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g73.1%
Saturated Fat 16.5 g82.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 457.3 mg
Sodium 400 mg16.7%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g15.9%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 116 g231.7%
Vitamin A 23.9% Vitamin C 43.6%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 97%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Heat bacon fat in a pan and fry hare in it till light brown. Remove the contents to a casserole.
2) Stir in celery, onions, peppercorns, lemon rind, cayenne, thyme sprig, bay leaf, parsley sprigs, mace, seasoning and water.
3) Place the lid tightly and cook covered in warm oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3 for 2 hours.
4) Keep the pieces in a rigid container.
5) Strain the flavorings and transfer the liquid into a saucepan.
6) Mix butter and flour paste gradually into the liquid.
7) Boil the content and cook in simmering heat stirring constantly till liquid thickens.
8) Blend in port or Madeira and jelly and cook for 2 minutes.
9) Soak the hare pieces on the sauce.
10) Garnished with croutes and chopped parsley.
Freeze the hare pieces and bread croutes separately. Reheat in casserole in a warm oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3, for 40 minutes. Heat the bread croutes separately.