- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
John Wayne's Cheese Recipe
|Green chili||8 Ounce|
|Monterey jack cheese||1 Pound|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Pound|
|Canned evaporated milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Calories 928 Calories from Fat 541
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g99.8%
Saturated Fat 37.9 g189.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 349.2 mg116.4%
Sodium 1678.9 mg70%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.4%
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 70 g139.4%
Vitamin A 61.3% Vitamin C 194.8%
Calcium 142.7% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Remove seeds from chilies, and dice. In a large bowl, combine the grated cheese and green chilies. Turn into a well-buttered, shallow 2-quart casserole (12 by 8 by 2 inches)
3. In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites just until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
4. In small bowl of electric mixer, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt, and pepper; mix until well blended.
5. Using a rubber scraper, gently fold beaten whites into egg-yolk mixture.
6. Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture in casserole, and using a fork, gently run it through the cheese.
7. Bake 30 minutes; remove from oven, and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around edge of casserole. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until a silver knife inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Garnish with green chilies and serve hot