- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Joan's Cornell Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
|Warm water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, Compressed Or Dry)|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Soy flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), stir before measuring|
|Nonfat dry milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4439 Calories from Fat 548
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.9%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 464.2 mg
Sodium 8863.3 mg369.3%
Total Carbohydrates 787 g262.5%
Dietary Fiber 68.5 g274.2%
Sugars 113.9 g
Protein 198 g395.4%
Vitamin A 11.5% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 244.4% Iron 242.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
2) In a large bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water, add honey and let stand for 5 minutes.
3) Sift together 3 cups of whole wheat flour, 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, wheat germ, soy flour, and nonfat dry milk.
4) Stir in the salt, eggs and 3/4 of the flour mixture into the yeast mix.
5) With an electric mixer, beat for about 5 minutes.
6) Add the oil and the remaining flour mixture.
7) Work the flour in thoroughly, add additional flour if necessary until the dough is stiff enough to handle.
8) Turn dough onto a floured board and knead until it is smooth and elastic.
9) In an oiled bowl, place the dough, turning to coat all sides with oil.
10) With a clean damp cloth, cover and let rise in a warm place (about 85Â°F) until double in bulk.
11) Punch down, fold over the edges and turn upside down in the bowl.
12) Cover and allow to rise for another 20 minutes.
13) Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and divide into 3 equal portions.
14) Fold each into the center to make a smooth tight ball.
15) Cover with cloth and let rest for 10 more minutes.
16) Shape into 3 loaves, and place in oiled loaf pans, or form into rolls.
17) Let rise until double in bulk.
18) Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.
19) Remove bread from the pans, and brush with margarine if a softer crust is desired.
20) Place on a wire rack to cool, before serving.