- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jerusalem-Artichoke Relish Recipe
|Jerusalem artichokes||2 Pound|
|Yellow onions||4 Medium|
|Red peppers||3 Medium|
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Quart|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mustard seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery seed||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2801 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.4%
Saturated Fat 0.65 g3.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4011.5 mg167.1%
Total Carbohydrates 639 g212.9%
Dietary Fiber 33.8 g135%
Sugars 507.6 g
Protein 31 g61.6%
Vitamin A 241.4% Vitamin C 872.6%
Calcium 56.9% Iron 237%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare artichokes scrub them well with a stiff brush and then pare and chop coarsely.
2. Coarsely chop onions and peppers.
3. In a large bowl mix well combining chopped vegetables, salt and 2 quarts cold water.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Next day, sterilize two 1-quart jars and leave in hot water until ready to fill.
6. Drain chilled vegetables and place in large kettle.
7. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and mixture boils.
8. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until relish is thick for about 30 minutes.
9. Completing one quart at a time, immediately ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
10. Cap at once as manufacturer directs.
11. Use as a side, with other dishes or as desired.