- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Corn and Chorizo Chowder with Cheddar Corn Muffins Recipe Video
|Celery rib||3 , diced|
|Carrots||4 , chopped|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Corn off the cob||6 , save cob|
|Smoked chorizo||2 , diced small, save half for soup and half for garnish|
|Potato||4 , peeled and medium diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 , diced|
|Yellow bell pepper||1 , diced|
|Jalapeno||1 , diced|
|Cayenne pepper||2 Pinch (Or More)|
|Chopped cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Yellow corn meal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted and cooled (1 Stick)|
|Buttermilk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Grated cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Scallions||3 , finely diced|
Calories 1341 Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.3%
Saturated Fat 18.7 g93.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 235.6 mg
Sodium 1019.2 mg42.5%
Total Carbohydrates 201 g67.1%
Dietary Fiber 23.4 g93.6%
Sugars 26.6 g
Protein 46 g91.9%
Vitamin A 189.8% Vitamin C 205.9%
Calcium 42.3% Iron 44.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a stock pot heat 4 Tbls of olive oil 1 Tbl butter. Add the celery, carrots and onions and sweat your vegetables.
2) Add ½ of the chorizo. Then cook for about 2 minutes. then add 2 Tbls flour.
3) Add the peppers, thyme,cayenne pepper,corn,potatoes and the reserved cobs.
4) Add 3 cups of chicken stock and 3 cups of water.Make sure that the ingredients are covered.
5) Season with salt and pepper and add cilantro. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until the vegetable are tender.
6) Then remove the cobs and add about 1cup of milk. Correct the seasoning and correct for salt in necessary.
6) Place the remaining chorizo in a saute pan,adding a little olive oil to crisp up the chorizo.Sprinkle the chorizo over the chowder and serve.
Method for muffins:
7) Toss the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together
8) Mix the wet ingredients together,buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
9) Combine the dry and wet together and mix thoroughly,then fold in the cheese corn and scallions.
10) Scoop into paper lined muffin pans. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This video is a creation of chef-ellie-espo. You can visit chef-ellie-espo for complete recipes, and more videos.