- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jerk Chicken Skillet Shepherd's Pie Recipe Video
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|Jerk seasoning||3 Tablespoon (2 tsp. for the chicken and remaining for the topping)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (1 tbsp for the chicken marinade and remaining for the skillet)|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, diced|
|Plum tomatoes||2 Small, diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Canned black beans||10 Ounce, rinsed and drained|
|Corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gluten free chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch slurry||1 Tablespoon (1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp of water)|
|Scallion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (1 tsp. for the chicken and remaining for the topping)|
|Pepper||2 Teaspoon (1 tsp. for the chicken and remaining for the topping)|
|Sweet potatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cut into large pieces (FOR THE TOPPING)|
|Plantains||2 Medium, cut into large pieces (FOR THE TOPPING)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (FOR THE TOPPING)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon (FOR THE TOPPING)|
|Honey||1 Tablespoon (FOR THE TOPPING)|
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.4%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.8 mg
Sodium 1654.8 mg68.9%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.1%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48.1%
Sugars 29.4 g
Protein 38 g75.6%
Vitamin A 280.6% Vitamin C 134.2%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 23.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Stir the chicken together with jerk seasoning and olive oil and set aside.
2. In a pot pour in water and salt add in the sweet potatoes and plantains. Set it on high and bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
3. When the sweet potatoes and plantains are fork tender, drain it.
4. Mix the butter, honey, jerk seasoning and salt and pepper to taste and mash. Slowly add the milk.
5. Keep aside the sweet potato topping.
6. In a large non – stick skillet place the chicken, sauté for 5 minutes.
7. Turn the pieces and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
8. Lower the heat to medium and pour in olive oil followed by onions, tomatoes, peppers and garlic.
9. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the veggies for 5 minutes.
10. Add in the corn, beans, chicken stock and corn-starch slurry, stir to combine and add the chicken.
11. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes and the stew will be ready to top.
12. Add in the scallions and parsley.
13. Spoon the sweet potato mixture, in an even layer over the stew and place it under the broiler for 5 minutes to brown the top.
14. Serve the Jerk Chicken Skillet Shepherd's Pie with tossed salad.