- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jarrets D Agneau A La Grecque Recipe
|Lamb shanks||56 Ounce (4 Pieces, 14 Ounce Each)|
|Garlic cloves||3 Large, cut into slivers|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Italian plum tomatoes/2 cups canned italian plum tomatoes with liquid, coarsely crushed||1 Pound, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (Fresh)|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orzo||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Rice Shaped Pasta, Preferably Large)|
|Freshly grated kefalotiri cheese/Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1609 Calories from Fat 944
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 104 g159.6%
Saturated Fat 30.6 g153%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 289.6 mg
Sodium 1021 mg42.5%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.1%
Sugars 13.3 g
Protein 91 g182%
Vitamin A 19.8% Vitamin C 34.2%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 47.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Use a sharp paring knife to remove as much of fat, sinew and translucent membrane, as possible from lamb shanks.
3. Insert garlic slivers into shanks, cither by finding natural divisions in the meat or by cutting small incisions.
4. Salt and pepper generously.
5. Arrange lamb shanks in roasting pan; strew onion slices over and then drizzle some olive oil. Roast foe about 25 minutes.
6. Sprinkle meat with oregano and cinnamon; spoon tomatoes on lamb, mounding on each shank.
7. Pour white wine around meat.
8. Return to oven and roast 45 minutes more.
9. Remove lamb shanks from pan and set aside.
10. Add Chicken Stock to pan and keep stirring. Stir in orzo.
11. Arrange shanks on top, baste them with some of stock, and return pan to oven.
12. Cook until pasta is just tender and nearly all liquid has been absorbed. This will take about 15 minutes.
13. Remove from oven, cover pan tightly with aluminium foil, and let stand about 5 minutes.
14. Serve hot with grated cheese.